Saturday 11 August 2012

Olympics

So waaaayyyy waaayyyy back when, some time in 2011 I was nominated to receive this award from the RYA. I'd spent the year working on the (at that time despicable) sailing club. It did have an active membership of 3 and a full membership of 5 and was about to be shut down when I stepped in (read begged and pleaded) and asked to give it a go. With a bit of common sense to finances we were fine and became a very happy little club with 47 full members and about 15 going each week. We started a racing team, fixed up our old boats, played Swallows and Amazons zipping around the islands of our lakes and drank lots of beer and ate lots of burgers on the shore. Lovely stuff. But then some kind fellow (still don't know who!) nominated me for this award in August and low and behold in March (it would appear that the RYA like to take their time over such matters) I got a call to say that I had been given it and as part of my award (got a snazzy certificate too) I would receive tickets to the Olympic women's team finals (the sport in which I compete). Well it's not August so guess what I did yesterday?!

Watched so much awesome sailing my eyes burnt. Unfortunately England didn't make it through but minor, minor detail. They day was AMAZING! Literally perfect from start to finish. It was fortunate that I was having quite a well day that day so I got to really enjoy it. Firstly, it was so well run. Lovely, smiley volunteers were everywhere, glowing in their bright pink t-shirts, the Nothe was clean and well thought out, the weather was happily blustering away and the commentators were and knowledgeable. Me and Pops had a great time!








No comments:

Post a Comment